vanmann
NaomiM
studio-pots
mal
Oldmagpie
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries

Post by Oldmagpie April 25th 2011, 11:11 am

William Fishley Holland

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  19_04_14

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  19_04_15

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  19_04_16

George Tonkin Holland - Dunster

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  23_03_10

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  23_03_11
Oldmagpie
Oldmagpie

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty Studio Coronation Mug Fishley Holland?

Post by mal December 7th 2011, 11:17 am

Is this signature Fishley Holland. It certainly looks like W ? Holland. Do you think it would have any value? It's a nice little find whatever. Happy
[img]fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  20111126[/img]

[img]fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  20111127[/img][img]fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  20111128[/img]
mal
mal

Female Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2011-01-25

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty Re: Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries

Post by studio-pots April 16th 2012, 10:25 pm

It is a "Fishley Holland" from the 1950s/1960s and possibly by William Jr. or more likely his brother, George. I say that because it looks as if it had a sticky label on the bottom when originally purchased and that fits in more with George.

They usually had incised initial signatures.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty Re: Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries

Post by NaomiM August 4th 2012, 9:21 pm

Glazed pot by Dunster Pottery.
Not their usual style, but there is a jug on the Pottery Studio website - http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/pp.cgi?item=2996 - with the same inscribed mark.

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0710

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0711
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32054
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty George Tonkin Fishley Holland - Dunster

Post by vanmann September 3rd 2012, 8:01 am

I picked up this small vase which I took to be from Dunster and the work of one of the various Fishley-Hollands. Mark on base however is GTH which I have been unable to ID. Any suggestions appreciated, John

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Potter69

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Potter70
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 3rd 2012, 8:15 am

I always thought this was for George Fishley Holland.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3668
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by vanmann September 3rd 2012, 8:43 am

That was my first thought but I was confused by the T and I thought he signed in full. If this was by him would this be Dunster or Clevedon?
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 3rd 2012, 7:51 pm

I think his middle name was "Tonkin" and pretty sure it's Dunster.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 3rd 2012, 7:52 pm

I've read about the initials standing for "George Tonkin Holland" at least. Often marked "Dunster" too.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal April 16th 2013, 7:03 pm

William Fishley Holland Jnr (1916-2001) I think?

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Fishle10

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Id_no_82
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 597
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 2nd 2013, 3:25 pm

Some information that may clarify the relationship between the two potteries.

The Fishley Holland Pottery in Clevedon was started by William Fishley Holland senior, who had started potting with his grandfather, Edwin Beer Fishley, at the Fremington Pottery that was situated in North Devon.

He went to Clevedon in 1920 to help Sir Ambrose Elton continue the Sunflower Pottery that had gained a significant reputation under his father, Sir Edmund, but this quickly proved unviable. Therefore he bought a property in Court Lane in Clevedon in 1922 (some sources say 1921 but I think the former is more likely) where he lived and started up his pottery.

William had two daughters, Constance and Isabel, and two sons, George Tonkin and William Fishley junior (known as Bill). Upon leaving school George and Isabel chose to work at the pottery but Bill trained as an architect and Constance became a secretary. George would have been 14 when he started at the pottery and was able to throw very well from an early age.

During the Second World War the two brothers joined up, which left William senior and Isabel to run the pottery.

After leaving the Navy at the end of the war, George came back with fresh ideas and extra staff were taken on. After this period of modernisation George moved to Dunster in 1958 where he potted until 1965 and then moved to Minehead where most of his time was taken up with teaching at the Further Education Centre.

Although William senior was still potting when George left and continued to do so until his death in 1969, the Clevedon pottery was under the ownership of Bill (William junior), who doesn't appear to have potted himself. However, Constance's son, St. John Child, was at this time working with his grandfather and in 1967 Bill's son, Peter Fishley Holland, joined the pottery.

After William senior's death the pottery continued with hired staff until 1977 when it finally closed. The buildings were sold to Norman Darby, who made stoneware there for several years.

At least two other potteries were started by ex-Fishley Holland Clevedon staff, namely the Yeo Pottery (Bill Janes) and the Sheldon Pottery (John & David Bishop).

Finally, Peter Fishley Holland moved to Jedburgh on the Scottish Borders where he continued to pot for a time, although I can't say that I have come across any of his work.

Note: Much of this information comes directly from the family via a booklet written by Jane Lilly around 25 years ago.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 2nd 2013, 4:37 pm

Ah, that explains why the Minehead Pottery is so similar to Yeo and FH slipware pottery.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 2nd 2013, 5:25 pm

I had always wondered myself and recently got this information from a lady called Margaret in Devon (WFH's niece).

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty puzzle jug by Fishley Holland,Dunster

Post by sunnyices2 May 3rd 2014, 5:54 pm

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img-2489

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img-2490

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img-2491

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img-2492

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img-2493

inscription says >>>  within this jug there is good liquor, fit for a parson or for vicar
how to drink and not to spill will try the utmost of your skill.
sunnyices2

Male Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 4th 2014, 9:46 pm

Because of the size of the piece I think that it is earlier than that so 1950s is my guess. They are difficult to date as the grey glaze, which was developed by William's son, George, became fairly standard from the late 1940s until the pottery at Clevedon closed in 1977.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty William Fishley Holland - Orange coffee pot

Post by NaomiM May 24th 2014, 7:44 pm

Orange coffee pot with greeny-blue glaze inside. The shape looks continental.
Signed on base L. ???chard or L. ???chand. However, the inside of the lid appears to be initialled JR

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0625fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0621fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0622

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0623fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dscn0624

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 25th 2014, 8:48 am

It's William Fishley Holland (full signature) - likely to be from the 1930s.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 25th 2014, 8:53 am

The other initials could be his daughter, Isabel, who worked at the pottery but I can't be certain of that.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 25th 2014, 4:58 pm

lorrgeno wrote:Your welcome . I'm going to look again when I'm on my desktop. The images are too small for the iPad. I'm betting the name will pop out now.

Trust me, it doesn't  Happy  But it's definitely right, so kudos to SP  Excellent 

http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/pp.cgi?item=4309
http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/pp.cgi?item=1246

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by pot-bellied amateur July 3rd 2014, 3:49 pm

I bought this yesterday. It's not my favourite pottery but it was cheap. Is there a way of dating these pots?

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img_2052

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Img_2053
pot-bellied amateur
pot-bellied amateur

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots July 3rd 2014, 5:47 pm

Only by the glaze, which puts this in the 1950s/early 1960s period.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 21st 2015, 4:29 pm

I am supposed to be decluttering but couldn't leave this large William Fishley Holland vase in the charity shop.

I say large because it is 20 cm (8 inches) tall and you usually only see small pieces from this period.

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Wfh_va10

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Wfh_ba10

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty ID help on slipware vase - Fishley Holland

Post by vickya March 13th 2015, 7:24 pm

Hi, i bought this vase recently and there is a signature but its pretty much illegible. Anyone recognise it from the decoration? Any help appreciated. thanks
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Sam_7013
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Sam_7014
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Sam_7015
vickya
vickya

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-03-05

Back to top Go down

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Empty Posy Vase - Fishley Holland, Dunster

Post by Susan Q March 18th 2015, 1:41 pm

Can anyone identify this posy vase please? It has what looks to be an FH on the base.
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dsc04310
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dsc04311
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dsc04312
fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Dsc04313
Susan Q
Susan Q

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Marlow June 7th 2015, 11:41 am

This is a nice piece of earlier Fishley Holland with a raised pie-crust edge.

Ian

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Wfh_110

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Wfh_210

fishley holland - Fishley Holland family, Dunster & Minehead Potteries  Wfh_310
ian Marlow
ian Marlow

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum