Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s

+2
NaomiM
arsenalantiques
6 posters

Go down

Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s  Empty Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s

Post by arsenalantiques November 5th 2012, 10:48 pm

Got this vase a while back, and have never been able to identify it.  The mark at the base looks like an oval with hatched marks.  The bottom is marked 1996.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket
arsenalantiques
arsenalantiques

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s  Empty Re: Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s

Post by NaomiM November 6th 2012, 12:09 am

Looks like someone's tried to copy William (Bill) Marshall's mark.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32204
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s  Empty Re: Unknown Mark Studio Pottery mark like William Marshall’s

Post by arsenalantiques November 6th 2012, 12:34 am

They do seem rather similar.
arsenalantiques
arsenalantiques

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty November 6th 2012, 3:56 am

NaomiM wrote:Looks like someone's tried to copy William (Bill) Marshall's mark.

There are actually a lot of marks similar to his, but with this mark the M/W's are not interlinked like his was.

This mark seems more like Mary White's, but again many have used similar and I doubt it's her work.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3667
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 6th 2012, 5:44 pm

Looks like the mark is inscribed, rather than stamped. That and an inscribed date suggests it's a student / hobby potter's piece.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skay November 6th 2012, 6:57 pm

NaomiM wrote:Looks like the mark is inscribed, rather than stamped. That and an inscribed date suggests it's a student / hobby potter's piece.

Surrender I'm a little off-topic, but it makes me wonder why teachers don't suggest making a good stamp, or hobbyists don't do it - to make it look better Shrugs

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 6th 2012, 7:04 pm

skay wrote:
NaomiM wrote:Looks like the mark is inscribed, rather than stamped. That and an inscribed date suggests it's a student / hobby potter's piece.

Surrender I'm a little off-topic, but it makes me wonder why teachers don't suggest making a good stamp, or hobbyists don't do it - to make it look better Shrugs

xx

Why would they? They're just making a handful rather than running a business/making a living out of it.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skay November 6th 2012, 7:18 pm

I suppose not, just wondered. I've never potted but wouldn't want my signature on anything to look amateurish. I remember practicing mine for ages as a teenager geek

Perhaps they don't realise, I didn't notice it much until you mentioned it lately Embarrassed

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 6th 2012, 10:08 pm

I took a couple of pottery courses and we were told to marked our pots simply so the tutor could tell who's was who's when she took them out of the kiln and stored them on our spots on the shelf with our unfinished pieces. None of us had any intention of selling them, although there were a group of ladies making slab-built dolls houses for craft fairs. At best we might have given some away at Christmas, if they were good enough (Mine were crap Happy ).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty November 7th 2012, 2:21 am

I'd have said the mark is impressed to be honest, it looks far too perfect to be inscribed by the same hand who wrote 1996 on it.

The vase itself has good form and seems to be quite competently potted / finished, so personally I don't see why it would be a student piece.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3667
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 7th 2012, 8:01 am

Potty wrote:I'd have said the mark is impressed to be honest, it looks far too perfect to be inscribed by the same hand who wrote 1996 on it.

The vase itself has good form and seems to be quite competently potted / finished, so personally I don't see why it would be a student piece.

Agree with you Potty but I don't know the mark, which is likely to be that of a potter from the States.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 November 7th 2012, 3:29 pm

skay wrote:

xx

I potted for a bit. You quickly learn that you need some sort of mark because it's amazing how after you've slaved away at something for ages, when you're looking for it amongst a shelf full of other peoples work all the bits look the same. Happy

Designing and making your own stamp indicates developing self consciousness Innocent as a potter. Some transcend their egos and drop the stamp. But this takes admirable guts and commitment eg Svend Bayer and Clive Bowen
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 November 7th 2012, 3:32 pm

Guts, commitment and of course great potting....
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1255
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum