THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL?

5 posters

Go down

THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL? Empty THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL?

Post by dantheman January 28th 2013, 4:35 pm

I would like to thin out some of my pottery collections but the market seems unstable at the moment making it difficult to judge,I know we have several experienced sellers here on the forum & I would welcome any advise.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15458
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL? Empty Re: THE RIGHT TIME TO SELL?

Post by Celtic_Fan January 28th 2013, 5:07 pm

No experience selling, but I'd say the right time to sell is when the market is at it's peak Laughter Shame you never know when that is until afterwards!

But I'd say now it is generally more of a buyers market with prices low(ish). At least for the things I look at.

Although Pondering , if you're thinking of selling anything I might be interested in - now is the RIGHT time to sell Innocent
Celtic_Fan
Celtic_Fan

Male Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 28th 2013, 5:28 pm

thanks for those wise words C_F

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15458
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 28th 2013, 6:15 pm

It is a buyer's market, but it depends on what you're selling, and whether or not you're going to use that cash to buy new stuff. If you're reinvesting the money in new stuff then any time's a good time to sell - if you sell at the top of the market you'll get a good price, but you'll also be buying at the top of the market. If you sell at the bottom of the market you'll get less, but you'll also be buying cheap.
If you just want the cash and you originally bought at retail price at the top of the market, then you're not going to get back all your money - but then you don't get your money back on a drink and a sandwich either; it's all a matter of perspective. And the trouble with market peaks is you never know when they've happened until you're over it and skating down the other side.
I think the trick is to sell at the best place to get a good price and for the amount you want - even if it means relisting the item over and over again on ebay - rather than have to sell at any price.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32054
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by gareth-h January 28th 2013, 10:15 pm

I have found good stuff is still selling well if priced sensibly, beginners pieces less so. And you can't shift the brown stuff at all Dan I'm afraid Laughter

In general when I want to buy something it goes for more than I hoped and when I want to sell it goes less. Anyone else find that, or is it just me?
gareth-h
gareth-h

Male Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-27

http://www.pooleroom.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 28th 2013, 11:51 pm

I've been picking up 'entry level' stuff pretty cheaply at the fairs - dealers are desperate to sell - where as the 'hot' stuff is often over priced.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32054
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 29th 2013, 8:11 am

Really,if you are selling,the only real game in town is Ebay. And selling on Ebay is hard work.It might look simple bbut its deceptive. Excellent photos and lots of them,good descriptions and Excellent Feedback and Customer ratings,that is hard work!
Tamebay is an excellent blog site on Ebay.Have a look at their free download and tools.
http://tamebay.com/tamebay-ebay-tools-service-guide-2011

The best time to sell on Ebay,is as in most retail,the pre Xmas period.Mid September to the first week in December.
The rare,unusual,and top drawer items Are selling very well on Ebay now.People have greater confidence in their customer guarantee,and are willing to spend larger sums. But the downside to that,is the humdrum and everyday is pretty much dead in the water.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6591
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum