Yelland jug

Go down

Yelland jug Empty Yelland jug

Post by Guest July 6th 2014, 6:43 pm

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I recently bought a Yelland jug and wanted to know if the jugs made there can be distinguished between the people who worked there.
Mine just has the Y but I know that Clive Bowen worked there (for a short time) and others. Is it possible my jug is by Bowen with just a Y mark or are they all Michael Leach?

Back to top Go down

Yelland jug Empty Re: Yelland jug

Post by studio-pots July 8th 2014, 6:52 pm

When Michael left the Leach Pottery and teaching at Penzance School of Art, just before Janet came to town, he moved to the village of Yelland on the North Devon coast.

From what I can gather Michael liked to pot but didn't really like all of the fuss associated with being Bernard's son and wished to have a country pottery making useful things. Therefore he very rarely made one off items and even more rarely marked them with a personal seal alongside the Yelland seal.

You are correct that he employed a number of assistants, including Keiko Hasegawa, his son Phillip for awhile and Phillip's wife Franny when she was single. So matchmaking and a pottery combined.

I think that it's fair to say that Michael Leach operated his pottery in a similar manner to Shoji Hamada so you can never say that any pieces with a Y mark was his alone but I do believe he had an input into all the work. Therefore rightly or wrongly when selling a Y marked pot I do say that it is a Michael Leach Yelland pot but sell them one their merit rather than a name. I have sold a couple of pots with his personal seal on as well in the past and they of course have a premium.

However, I have never seen a Yelland pot with any other personal seal so it is impossible to link any of his assistants with a specific item.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest July 9th 2014, 7:15 am

Thanks Studio, really appreciate your help.. I've was getting 'brain drain' reading about the different potteries, who worked where, and trying to guess by comparing styles, who may have made my jug with just the pottery mark Y. I've got a lot to learn and that takes time I know. I am learning lots from this forum though, so thanks again, H.

I'll post a pic under Yelland pottery  Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum