Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese?

5 posters

Go down

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Empty Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese?

Post by stardust* Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:32 am

I'm clutching at straws here... I don't know where to start. I've had this years in a box in the garage, bought initially because I liked the shape. There's no ID so it's reliant on finding something similar on computer search which is proving difficult (the glaze looks a bit darker than celandon) or someone having some experience and a bit of advice. I don't know if it even fit's into 'Studio' pottery category. Can anyone help?
It's 18cm tall

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1023

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1025
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Empty Re: Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese?

Post by NaomiM Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:07 am

Japanese is possible, but it's not a shape I've come across before, and from the photos I'm not sure if it's  a celadon glaze on porcelain. Might be earthenware. Is it crazed? Trying to decide if it's 20th or 19thC

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32056
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Empty Re: Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese?

Post by stardust* Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:19 am

No it doesn't seem to be crazed, I've included some close ups to try and show the glaze better.

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1027
Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1028
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:19 pm

The Japanese art pottery you may be thinking of, is usually a very gritty clay,
resulting in a very rough foot-rim, this looks smooth.
The shape is consistent with 100 year old art pottery, but by who?
Get some cream cleaner on that foot rim!
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7344
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Done it.... cleaned with cream cleaner.

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1029
Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1030
Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? Img_1031
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:54 pm

It does look like a gritty clay.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:29 pm

The base looks properly turned and finished.
That Japanese stuff is like house brick texture! so a very rough foot.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:42 am

Just as an update, the vase has been accepted and included in a fine art sale with a reserve of £100!

mod edit due to breach of advertising rule

I'd like to say thanks for the help and opinions of knowledgable members of the forum.

Fingers crossed...I'm thinking new extension to the house

Last edited by stardust* on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:53 am

Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:45 am

You did very well to get it into a fine art sale with a £100 estimate. I would not have given it an attribute that would have carried that price. I have seen that shape an awful lot and it's always been attached to pottery made by the Salopian art pottery company who produced between 1882-1912 in Ironbridge Shropshire. Of course they could have been copying Japanese designs but it is the spitting image of what I have seen before by them. They also had a habit of forgetting to mark items Waaah Hope the auction goes well for you anyway Excellent
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Yes agreed, I have seen Langley, Denby, Linthorpe and Torquay use that shape also,
though it's not any of those. yes hope you do well with it.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Well....maybe a shed then. Thanks for shattering my dreams guys!
seriously though, the more opinions the better, can open up new ways of thinking..and better late than never.
DD and Naomi always had some doubts about the Oriental origin I had presumed. I've had a peek at some Salopian art pottery on the internet, and from what I can see you're right Mordeep, it is very similar to my pot. It's all possibilities with an unmarked vase but I appreciate the ideas.
We'll see, it is an attractive vase, I think...and if I bring it home again, I think I'll keep it Happy

Last edited by stardust* on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 pm

I would certainly value the opinion of mordeep and denbydump over most auction valuers on a vase of this nature but the auction going public seem to have rather more faith in auction houses than they really deserve............... so I think the extension is still possible. Cheeky

Has anyone said why they think it's Japanese?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Yes SP, nice pot, but it just ain't Japanese!
Let Bamfords do their stuff....

I've had lots of the Japanese art-pottery pieces c1900 in those plain glazes, usually oxblood, but the blue also.
The foot-rim screams at you, quite distinctive, if only I had a piece at the moment I could photograph and compare.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:25 pm

It was me, I put "Japanese?" in my title, my mistake.
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:57 am

stardust* wrote:It was me, I put "Japanese?" in my title, my mistake.

Putting Japanese with ? in your title is quite valid but that can't be why the auction "expert" has said that it is Japanese can it?

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:32 am

Sorry sp, tired when last posted and didn't read your question properly.
I had already had an online quote for the amount stated just based my basic description, which included "Japanese". On valuation day back in January, it was extremely busy with one "expert". It was less a consultation, more a show and tell. The vase had a very quick feel over and I was asked what I thought it was. I mentioned poss Japanese, 19th century and the online quote. Immediately she entered it into the fine art sale. I did naively expected them to tell me what it was at a later date once the real "expert" had taken a look, but having seen the catalogue entry for the auction it seems my word is good enough.
At this point in time I hadn't heard all the ideas which have been put forward recently on the forum, which just go to prove where the experts really are.
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:55 am

So I'm wrong.............. it was based on your opinion. Embarrassed

To be honest when I look through thesaleroom.com at auction listings around the country I do think that what the seller says something is must often ends up as what the auction house says it is. For example, I recently saw a typical Louise Darby vase in a sale as by David Leach.

I shouldn't worry, as if it doesn't sell as Japanese it can always be re-entered in another sale as British Art Pottery. you get two bites at the cherry that way.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Auction houses simply do not have the depth of experience to identify all the items presented to them. The people on this part of the forum have a passion for ceramics and will in most cases be able to identify something easier than the auctioneers. Saying that most auction workers have a very wide understanding of the value of items but they are not experts. Us people here know more about less  Embarrassed

When it comes to things like your item though it is difficult. These are after all English copies of imported ceramic shapes with glazes inspired by those from the far east. So picking out what is an English copy or an English design based on something imported is a nightmare without points of reference. We all learn all the time and each fair I attend, each auction I preview and each expert I talk too increases what I know. It also helps that I have been able pick up the odd out of print book Most Excellent I am still going to be far behind some of Studio experts on here but in my part of the ceramic map I hope I hold my own Excellent
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* Fri May 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Well after scrapping the £100 reserve, I said goodbye to this pot as the hammer fell at £65...I'm more than happy.
Thanks to everyone who posted, for your part in it's id...It's been emotional.
stardust*
stardust*

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri May 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Wel done SD, I would probably had that on my stall for £15 unmarked!
I wonder if the buyer thought they knew what it was?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri May 13, 2016 8:48 pm

studio-pots wrote:So I'm wrong.............. it was based on your opinion. Embarrassed

To be honest when I look through thesaleroom.com at auction listings around the country I do think that what the seller says something is must often ends up as what the auction house says it is. For example, I recently saw a typical Louise Darby vase in a sale as by David Leach.

I shouldn't worry, as if it doesn't sell as Japanese it can always be re-entered in another sale as British Art Pottery. you get two bites at the cherry that way.

Funny, I bought my first Louise Darby vase many years ago (cheap) at the big Brum, thinking it could be DL, took ages to find out
what it actually was, but hey, I still have it, a nice piece...
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Fri May 13, 2016 8:51 pm

denbydump wrote:Wel done SD, I would probably had that on my stall for £15 unmarked!
I wonder if the buyer thought they knew what it was?

They might even join the Forum and ask for an opinion. Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Oh dear, Schardenfreude!
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Coincidentally I just picked up the type I vase I was trying to describe, with the
deep, gritty foot-rim, quite distinctuve.

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? 100_3013

Turquoise glaze fluted ribbed neck vase. No mark. Japanese? 100_3012
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum