Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify?

2 posters

Go down

Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify? Empty Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify?

Post by Beege October 19th 2018, 5:56 pm

Hi all.
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct section for this, but here goes...
This rather twee plate is signed and dated on the back and has (presumably) the artist's initials to the bottom right of the decoration.
I think the date reads 1835 and the factory (written) says '? + B Howarth'.
The artist's initials appears to be 'MFN'.
Does anybody recognise the factory/artist?
Thank you.
Jack

Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify? Vplate10
Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify? Vplate11
Beege
Beege

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify? Empty Re: Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify?

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2018, 7:49 pm

Here is fine.
It looks like a bought in blank that has been hand decorated. There was a great fad for such things back then, driven by a store that held regular competitions and inspired such a craze for it that they had thousands of entries every year and it was lampooned in the papers. I had a painted plaque with a similar date which had been awarded a prize by them; i thought I had posted a thread about it but im not finding it. I’ll see if I can dig up the details.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32056
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify? Empty Re: Early Victorian Plate - Howarth? Can anyone help clarify?

Post by Beege October 19th 2018, 10:37 pm

Thanks Naomi, thats interesting. So presumable the paint is just applied to the ready-made plate: does this mean that such plates were not subsequently 'fired to fix the decoration?
Let me know if you find the thread.
Jack.
Beege
Beege

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2018, 11:34 pm

It was Howell & James exhibitions. I can’t find the thread on this forum so I’ll repost on a new one

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 20th 2018, 12:54 am

I’ve posted the Howell and James thread. Realised they were a bit later than your plate but I think it’s the same sort of thing; done for a hobby decorator’s Competition, hence the space for the date on the back. I assume the china manufacturers would fire them for the hobbyists

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum