Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings

4 posters

Go down

Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings Empty Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings

Post by Beege March 1st 2019, 4:28 pm

Good afternoon all.
I'm sure Delft is an old subject here, and I am aware of how to date pieces based upon the use of the alphabet, however, these two pieces confuse me a little. Clearly they are both Delft, but the markings do not appear conventional with regards to the standard marks which include letters A (1879) to EN (2019) to identify age. Equally the markings don't include the vase image and initials JT.
Can somebody please enlighten me with regards to how to read these marks so that I can identify age (or even maker)? The 'fish like' symbol on the left vase has the letters DM inside.
Thank you
Jack

Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings Dutch111
Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings Dutch110
Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings Dutch112
Beege
Beege

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings Empty Re: Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings

Post by NaomiM March 1st 2019, 5:53 pm

I’ve always assumed they were made in the late 20thC for tourists

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32056
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings Empty Re: Two Delft vases, but not sure of markings

Post by Beege March 4th 2019, 7:25 am

Hi Naomi.
Thank you for the input. I guess they look pretty 'new' to me also, so I was not expecting any great rarity. I just assumed there might be some source of information which clarified these markings (e.g. the different crown designs, the meaning of 100 1/1 and whether DM is a date/name reference).
Hope you are well.
Jack
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn March 4th 2019, 2:55 pm

A good site is www.plateel.nl, but you won't find tourist ware there. Your pieces were made by two different companies, neither of which is Royal Delft. There's no standard dating system except within an individual company.
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege March 4th 2019, 10:28 pm

Thank you for the interesting web site janetpjohn.
Just for my own education: when you say neither are Royal Delft, do you mean these pieces are not Delft, or just not Royal Delft (I do not know if there is a difference)?
Regards
Jack
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn March 5th 2019, 3:21 am

Royal Delft is the best known maker among many potteries in Delft. It's like anything else--I can buy a dress from a big box store, but it won't be a Stella McCartney.
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege March 5th 2019, 10:13 am

Good simile janetpjohn, many thanks.
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddy March 7th 2019, 10:23 am

Check also this Dutch site about 'Delfts aardewerk'. http://www.delftsaardewerk.nl/artikel/merken_met_delft.
Maddy
Maddy

Female Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2018-02-14

https://www.madmix.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn March 7th 2019, 3:21 pm

Oh, excellent, Maddy--that fish mark is on there. I will bookmark the site.
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum