Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark.

2 posters

Go down

Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark. Empty Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark.

Post by abstract*toad May 29th 2021, 1:40 pm

A drip glazed vase, stoneware, with an incised mark, JMR.
Any help with ID appreciated.

Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark. Img_2257
Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark. Img_2256
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark. Empty Re: Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark.

Post by NaomiM May 29th 2021, 2:24 pm

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32172
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark. Empty Re: Stoneware vase with incised JMR mark.

Post by abstract*toad May 29th 2021, 2:44 pm

Haha, thanks Naomi.
I shouldn't have bought it to be fair. I only picked it up out of curiosity because of the glaze. I put it down, mainly because of its clunky bottom, then was told (as I was walking away) that I could have it for a pound.
I try to stop doing this (as I've too many pots as it is and am trying to focus more on quality and bits I'm happy displaying for a while at least), but couldn't help myself 😫
On the plus side, I must have left a good 15+ pieces at the boot sale, so I'm getting there, I think !!!
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 29th 2021, 2:53 pm

Well you never know when an unidentified piece will turn out to be a good-un Laughter I once had a 2hr round trip to get back to one I'd left in a bricabrac shop because I hadnt recognised the mark on the first visit. Luckily it was still there.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad May 29th 2021, 3:32 pm

I know exactly what you mean. The problem, in my experience, with continually picking bits up is room.
I bought solidly for 15 years and still have stuff boxed up I haven't seen for eons. I haven't the room to do what I used to and I'm not paying for storage anymore, so less buying, being selective, and feeding pieces into the local auction, along with eBay, is helping me get on top of things, I think!!!
I could have come back with a car full today, left some lovely bits.
A trader I know, lovely person, was selling an old twin handled Upchurch vase for £20, it was worth £80 to £120 all day long. I advised her to stick it in auction.
So much pottery for sale, so cheap, so hard not to buy it 🥴
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 29th 2021, 3:41 pm

I take photos so I can check marks when I get back home, and will carry a pot round the shop for a bit just to get a feel for it before buying. If the glaze is poor or it's bottom heavy or otherwise 'unfinished' I put it back on the shelf.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad May 29th 2021, 4:23 pm

That's a good tip, ref photos. I'll photograph something at auction from time to time.
I used to carry the old bible (Yates Owen) in the car everywhere I went.
Spent more time in charity shops down the years than is normal haha.
I try to be a bit more discerning nowadays, have to be. I obviously don't have a fraction of your knowledge and experience, but I have more confidence in my judgement than I used to.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 29th 2021, 5:57 pm

It's all about handling as many pots as possible. Galleries, charity shops and auction houses are great because you can pick them up. Museums are crap. :)

Last edited by NaomiM on May 29th 2021, 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad May 29th 2021, 6:13 pm

That makes sense, I am relatively new I think (compared to many of you on here) in terms of studio. It used to be all Moorcroft and Beswick, once upon a time. Cobridge stoneware was the start of things changing in terms of my tastes in decorative items.

I agree, Museums are such a tease.
The one in York has some amazing pieces, but it is awful not being able to touch something. Still, I do like to wander round it every few months.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum