Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????

5 posters

Go down

Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  Empty Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????

Post by LEGSY May 7th 2023, 2:50 pm

This i bought from a car boot sale today it was stuck in a wicker basket and i thought it looked
really good or at least nicely detailed as it looks cast, The color is also nicely done and his expression
is realistic too. I wondered would it be early 20th century and where would this kind of thing have been
produced in Britain or continental he is about 4 kg more than likely some material other than concrete.
Thanks for looking over it Dan.
Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010546
Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010548
Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010547
LEGSY
LEGSY

Male Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2017-02-19

Back to top Go down

Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  Empty Re: Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????

Post by LEGSY May 7th 2023, 2:51 pm

forgot a picture of the back would help silly me.

Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010549
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  Empty Re: Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????

Post by LEGSY May 7th 2023, 2:52 pm

Would anybody be able to live with this in there home these days Laughter
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 7th 2023, 3:39 pm

I always remember being at Wareham Auctions in about 1990 and laughing with my mother about a 5 foot high carved bear - he was mouth open snarling and climbing up a tree with the branches sticking out. All black. It was a Victorian hat stand.

Quite out of place for us in our sixties modern brick house, but if you have a big country hall or a converted church it would look great in the entrance. Same with this - someone will have a house to suit - there are also a lot of old Goths about.

BTW so it's not plaster then - heavier?
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LEGSY May 7th 2023, 4:44 pm

Thanks i agree it might well be somebodies cup of tea not too sure on the consistency of it ?
Seems very heavy if it were plaster i guess it might be though with something added to give extra weight maybe or similar. Added a couple more pics in hope it helps...appreciate the information.

Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010550
Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010551
Quite an Intriguing scary looking cast Gargoyle ????  P1010552
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 7th 2023, 7:14 pm

Looks like plaster of Paris or a composite alabaster type plaster. Might be early 20thC German. I had a series of German nun and monk head candleholders with similar wire hangers

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32056
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by LEGSY May 7th 2023, 7:45 pm

Thanks again NaomiM he certainly looks a character doesn't he? i think i might put him in the bedroom to watch over me Big Laughter when i am asleep ..
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 7th 2023, 8:35 pm

Back of the toilet door with a red light on him
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5610
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LEGSY May 7th 2023, 11:36 pm

Laughter Laughter Laughter ha ha ha
LEGSY
LEGSY

Back to top Go down

Post by crunchberry May 14th 2023, 1:04 am

I love it! If you have a second bathroom put it in there and freak out your guests.
crunchberry
crunchberry

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2022-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 14th 2023, 10:08 am

I can vaguely remember we had something like this many years ago. It turned out that it had probably come from Eastern Europe in that vague area of Poland/East Germany that whose borders were  very different pre WW1. There were specific 'Souvenir' gargoyle makers. It could also be a looted church item of course.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6593
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum