Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA'

3 posters

Go down

Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA' Empty Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA'

Post by Luigi_delRenzio September 23rd 2024, 5:22 pm

Good evening members,

I wonder if someone might be able to identify this unusually shaped vase.
Stoneware, heavy unusual glazes.
Inscribed on the base 'VA'.

Your help is much appreciated!
Pier-Luigi

Photos:
Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA' Vase_v11
Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA' Vase_v10
Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA' Vase_v12

Cans share more photos if needed, just ask.
Luigi_delRenzio
Luigi_delRenzio

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2024-09-18

Back to top Go down

Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA' Empty Re: Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA'

Post by philpot September 23rd 2024, 5:46 pm

Generally a signature that has been scratched on is by a talented amateur or student. It is a very broad definition but very few professional potters in the UK have a signature of this nature. Its a well made pot but the firing of it seems to have had problems.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6626
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA' Empty Re: Stoneware vase for ID - Inscribed 'VA'

Post by Luigi_delRenzio September 23rd 2024, 5:59 pm

Hi Philpot!
Many thanks for your fast reply which regarding the signature makes sense. I'd be very interested to know if you could elaborate on what problems you see it may have during firing? I am keen to learn :)
Bw,
Pier
Luigi_delRenzio
Luigi_delRenzio

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 23rd 2024, 6:40 pm

I agree with Philpot. There is a lot of pitting in the glaze, which is probably due to impurities - a common problem for students when the communal bucket of glaze becomes contaminated. And there is 'crawling' of the glaze on the rim of the vase, possibly due to natural body oils from the hands contaminating the clay surface and preventing the glaze from sticking to the clay
Another pointer to it being student work is the rough base. And the vase looks handbuilt - possibly coil built - rather than thrown on a wheel

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32157
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 24th 2024, 6:23 am

If you are collecting and want to sell somethings on. Then the vase needs to be virtually perfect to be able to do this. Collectors are a very picky bunch, and are very particular about cracks, and imperfections. As in this one.
On the other hand. If you are just collecting what are interesting pieces to you. Then its a very cheap hobby, and you get individual hand made items.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6626
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Luigi_delRenzio September 24th 2024, 2:52 pm

Good afternoon Naomi & Philpot,

Many thanks for your fascinating insight, I have a greater fondness for the vase knowing this.
Currently I am just collecting little bits here and there that catch my eye, for the time being!

P
Luigi_delRenzio
Luigi_delRenzio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum