Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark?

4 posters

Go down

Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark? Empty Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark?

Post by Ellenborough September 28th 2024, 2:07 pm

I’m sure this is an Aldermaston bowl but I’d like to know a bit more about it. It’s a large 29cm shallow bowl. It has an apprentice mark which doesn’t seem to be listed. Anyone know who it could be? I’d love to be able to date it too but it doesn’t have any other marks on it. My partner remembers it from when he was a little boy and he’s 59 now if that helps…
Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark? Img_4712
Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark? Img_4713
Ellenborough
Ellenborough

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2024-09-26

Back to top Go down

Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark? Empty Re: Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark?

Post by NaomiM September 28th 2024, 2:44 pm

Almost certainly Aldermaston Pottery. I've had a look at the Apprentice marks on our Aldermaston thread but haven't found a match. Unfortunately the list of marks is incomplete

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32157
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark? Empty Re: Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark?

Post by philpot September 29th 2024, 3:16 pm

a difficult one. It is very well made, so must be by an accomplished potter. Problem is, these marks were paintd freehand, and sometimes very badly.I am looking at Jane White's book on Alan Caiger Smith which contains the definitive list of all the Aldermaston potters. Trouble is there is no clear match. The nearest possibility would be Jane O'Connor who was there 1978-80 and whose mark was an AF.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6626
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump September 30th 2024, 8:25 am

Just guessing it could be AY, but I don't have a Y name on my list.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7361
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Aldermaston bowl with unknown apprentice mark? Empty Still no nearer….

Post by Ellenborough September 30th 2024, 6:01 pm

Thanks for replies guys…I believe it to be older than 1978 (which would rule out Jane O’Connor) as my partner remembers it in his house prior to that. Still no idea of potters name though.
What sort of value do these bowls have out of interest?
Ellenborough
Ellenborough

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2024-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 30th 2024, 6:05 pm

Very difficult to value as it depends on condition, decoration and whether it's a known potter, but maybe around the £30 price range, but could be a lot less. Not many people have room for the larger bowls these days

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32157
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 30th 2024, 7:47 pm

Best place to find the worth is Ebay sold page. Bearing in mind of course that it is an unidentified piece.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6626
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum