Lorna Bailey?

5 posters

Go down

Lorna Bailey? Empty Lorna Bailey?

Post by Davee September 17th 2009, 3:53 pm

Is it just me or does anybody else not get the Lorna Bailey thing, discuss........
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2211
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Lorna Bailey? Empty Re: Lorna Bailey?

Post by dantheman September 17th 2009, 4:04 pm

I'm not sure what you mean Davee

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15457
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee September 17th 2009, 5:25 pm

I mean people paying vast sums of money for what appear to be generic reproductions of Clarice Cliff
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 17th 2009, 5:45 pm

I know what you mean dave , but it appeals to a new generation of collectors (not me ), Dameon lyn heavily is influenced by hans Coper for example , That type of style probably has room for similar works to sell and collect , it's a bit like oasis , you know, the beatles tribute band , some kids were asked to listen to the beatles last week and replied they sound a bit like oasis , Lorna Bailey? 31653
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11934
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee September 17th 2009, 10:22 pm

I was having a look at the Lorna Bailey website to try and maybe get an understanding, when I spotted this! I think it needs to go into the funniest pots thread, heads vaugely resembling the Beatles in their late 60's hey day stuck on a teapot vaugely resembling Clarice Cliff from the 30's!? what a confusing mixture of eras!

http://www.lorna-bailey.co.uk/2009/Legends%20of%20Liverpool%20Teapot.jpg
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 18th 2009, 11:52 am

Yup ,funny pot thread deffo Lorna Bailey? 190269
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by tudorrose October 31st 2009, 3:14 pm

Hi,

I know I am a little late adding to this thread, but I don't get IT either! I am from Burslem and my late mum knew Lorna's father Lionel- she made no bones about the fact she didn't care for the LB pieces. (my mother, surrounded herself with RD Flambe)....

Anyway, what confuses me is Lorna Bailey closed The Old Post Office and retired to raise her family. Looking at my Collect It! magazine for July & Sept her father Lionel Bailey has taken out a full page spread advertising LIONEL BAILEY CERAMICS based in Ellgreave Street, Burslem. So I went along only to find it was some lock up units that were closed. October Collect it! mag carries a full page advert "Lorna Bailey Ceramics", same address in Ellgreave street....... along with a limited Edition production of 9 mini cats, a Giant Rocka-Doodle-Doo cockeral, and a Sunshine Vase. Maybe if when I am next in Burslem, I will call in again and ask them what is what?.

I know there is a new generation of collectors out there, it just seems such a shame other talented potters don't seem to get a bite of the cherry pie. I guess we are not being PC at all even discussing the merits of re-incarnated Clarice Cliff. Then of course Moorland Pootery whom I believe created a "crocus pattern" in honour of Clarice's work. I follow Susie Cooper, whom I believe has yet to have her share of the limelight.

It does puzzle me, and made me wonder how all her previous avid followers now feel, when they snapped up so called final collections before she retired only to find it has all been repackaged and produced again?

Anyway after calling in there, I made my way to a long standing factory Burgess & Leigh (as was), for a Calico purchase, then up to Hanley to have a peek at Emma Bridgewater....... Its taken me this long, (I am now 45 years), to appreciate my home town and my ancestors work in the pot banks!
tudorrose
tudorrose

Female Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed October 31st 2009, 3:32 pm

I think for a start off , take what you read in "collect it" and the likes with a pinch of salt , they are in the business of selling their mag ,,it is poor quality for the price and the contributors can be found to have many jobs with other publications , most of who don't know zilch about pottery , clique springs to mind IMO, aside from that, you should simply collect what you like as can be seen on this forum the diverse tastes of members .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Nik the collector November 8th 2009, 10:19 pm

Unfortunately the market has been flooded with all these modern reproductions or in the style of - if collectors looked a little deeper they would find plenty of contemporary factories of the art deco era to choose from.
As an example I recently went to a craft fair, there was some really nice enamelled silver jewelerry, the nearest comparison in quality and style was the art nouveau by the likes of Charles Horner only the new stuff is 30-50% more expensive.
If you are going to collect - collect old not brand new it's cheaper and was made for a smaller market so less items made!!
Nik the collector
Nik the collector

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum