White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH

+3
Vicky
Pip
heygarth54
7 posters

Go down

White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH Empty White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH

Post by heygarth54 October 1st 2010, 4:51 pm

White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH 412
I usually avoid buying metal items but today this caught my eye, it is 9cms tall and has three legs, it is a decent weight even without the blue liner, on the inside of one of the feet are the initial EH with a strange looking symbol underneath and the numbers 0001. Would this be English or continental ? I would be grateful for any information. Thanks.
heygarth54

Male Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Back to top Go down

White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH Empty Re: White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH

Post by heygarth54 October 1st 2010, 7:50 pm

White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH 111[img][/img]
On closer inspection I thinks it 900 1, and not 0001 as I first thought, would this mean it might be silver after all ?
heygarth54

Male Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Back to top Go down

White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH Empty Re: White Metal Basket with blue liner signed EH

Post by Pip October 19th 2010, 8:29 pm

It's not really my area however if it's silver (you can get quite cheap little kits for testing metals) but not hallmarked with the Lion Passant then it must be continental.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicky September 16th 2011, 3:44 am

I don't know anything about it but it would have caught my eye also. I really like it

Vicky
Vicky
Vicky

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bess September 19th 2011, 11:45 pm

I heart it too lol :) it's very nice. That's my expert opinion for you ;)
Bess
Bess

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 20th 2011, 12:04 am

I would think this is continental and am unsure if it is silver, in the first picture I would have been very inclined to say it's plate, but the tone of the metal in the latter pictures make me question that.

The Lion Passant is not always on British silver, which was just by far the most common British silver hallmark, it represents "sterling silver" that equates to 925 parts of silver per 1000. There is also the Britannia mark, 958 per 1000, so a higher grade of silver. Some are even unmarked, though this is unusual.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3668
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by keramark September 20th 2011, 2:52 pm

Could be wrong but i think that Trumpet mark is same mark James Dixon & sons use on silver plate !!!
keramark
keramark

Male Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Primate September 20th 2011, 3:39 pm

I've been trying to work out what that mark is for ages, I was thinking some kind of scientific instrument on a 4-legged stand. I can possibly see it now, though I'd say bugle rather than trumpet looking at the handle and lack of valves. But what's with the legs?
I agree with Potty that it's probably continental, in the style of WMF and early 20thC.
Potty Primate
Potty Primate

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by keramark September 20th 2011, 3:41 pm

They're not legs PP, they're Tassles ... Excellent
keramark
keramark

Male Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty September 20th 2011, 6:36 pm

The mark looks a fair bit like a hunting horn to me.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3668
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum