Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?)

2 posters

Go down

Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?) Empty Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?)

Post by heygarth54 April 7th 2011, 6:23 pm

[Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?) 3a10Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?) 2a11url=https://servimg.com/view/15480237/101]Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?) 2a10[/url]
I assume these are candlesticks as they were covered in old wax and still have the remnants of the candles stuck in the top. They measure 6in in width and just under 4ins in height. I've never seen anything like them before, they are heavy ish and have a slightly chalky feel to the base. They don't have any markings on them. Does anyone have any suggestions about origin or date. Thanks.
heygarth54

Male Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Back to top Go down

Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?) Empty Re: Unusual pottery candlesticks (majolica ?)

Post by Potty Primate April 24th 2011, 12:51 am

Hello Heygarth. I must say I quite like this pair, they'd sit quite nicely with a couple of my ceramic chimpanzees Most Excellent

If the sides are hollow all the way down, as they look in the top picture, I wouldn't think they were candlesticks, it would be too fiddly to regularly dig old wax out; I'd lean towards either posy or spill vases. They look English to me, and (in the pics at least) the colour of the glaze has a SylvaC-ish look, although I don't think they are SylvaC. As for date, I've always found it easier to date a piece when I can hold it, and from the pics I'm torn between mid-Victorian or 5 or so years either side of WWII.
I'm wondering whether they may have originally been part of a garniture, maybe with a larger single trunk vase to sit in the centre, but that's pure conjecture.
Potty Primate
Potty Primate

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum