Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF

3 posters

Go down

Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Empty Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF

Post by temink September 23rd 2012, 6:34 pm

Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Photo10
Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Photo110
Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Photo210
Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Photo310

Hello everyone. Id like some help with the identification of this piece please.
I think it is an earthenware demijohn. It is 17" tall. As you can see from the photos it is glazed from the top to around half way down. The interior is also glazed. It is stamped on the rear along the rim with an RF and also in a small box next to this "L68 and LCA" It may not be an L. This smaller stamp seems more finished, whereas the RF could have been done by hand.
Thanks in advance
David
temink
temink

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-09-23

Back to top Go down

Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Empty Re: Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF

Post by studio-pots September 24th 2012, 9:56 am

Welcome to the forum David.

I was hoping that by now someone might have been able to id your item, as I can't. I can say who it is not by but can't give a positive identification. One point to make though is that it is made of stoneware rather than earthenware. Earthenware tends to be a creamy white or terracotta colour where you can't really distinguish the grains of clay.

The mark that you describe as L68 or LCA is difficult to make out from the photograph, which seems to be the way it was impressed rather than the photography. Any other suggestions what that might be? It might not be letters but a symbol/image for example.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF Empty Re: Large earthenware semi glazed demijohn marked RF

Post by temink September 24th 2012, 10:42 am

Hello studio pots. Thanks for your reply. The smaller stamp is only unclear with the two "L"s. the 68 and CA are clear. The L may be a small capital D or a symbol. But I feel it is more of an L. I'll post a clearer picture later on tonight.
Thanks also for your correction on stoneware and earthenware. An earthenware demijohn would be quite a common thing compared to this one.
temink
temink

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 24th 2012, 11:37 am

I would have thought most demijohns would be stoneware as it's less porous than earthenware.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 32056
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by temink September 24th 2012, 11:40 am

Oh I am showing off my pottery ignorance! :-)
temink
temink

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 24th 2012, 11:53 am

NaomiM wrote:I would have thought most demijohns would be stoneware as it's less porous than earthenware.

That's true Naomi but they were one of the types of vessels produced by traditional country potteries in the UK before the dawn of studio pottery, so were made of earthenware. The Winchcombe pottery and other studio potters did make them in earthenware into the 1950s and some maybe even later but stoneware is far more sensible as you say, as it is much less porous.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7810
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum